Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This Semester.....





This disclaimer has nothing to do with the following post but I just wanted to post Dec. 1 because my birthday is in twenty-five days. Let the parade commence….you may continue.

My reasons for wanting to go down this EMAC path became ever clearer over Thanksgiving break. I went with my mom to get her hair done on black Friday. The woman was talking about her and hair. She went on to ask me what I do and once people hear that you’re in school they go on to ask the usual questions. What are you majoring in? Really? What do you want to do with your degree once you’re done?

I told the lady about my interest in EMAC and how my ten year goal is to start a magazine geared towards minority youth. I told her that I chose EMAC because it studies all sorts of new media and the impact they have on society. The lady then went on to tell me that she has brought several books to improve the quality of her businesses Facebook statues. I was like really… She told me that basically what I studying is what she is trying to learn now.

That got me thinking about businesses that have been around before the internet came into play and how they’re readjusting to this new and constantly expanding digital age. They could go back to school but most don’t have time for that so they buy books such as Facebooking for dummies, books about putting out quality statues, books about how to reach the consumer and bring them online.

This goes on to say that there will always be a job opening/position for those studying new media because most older companies don’t have time to go back to school but instead hire someone to do it and bring their company into the digital community.

Knowing that others outside of the program find what I study and research interesting just as I do is sort of like an energy boost. I came into this program open and willing to learn about new and evolving social media/ networks/digital communities. With this new understand it has even caused me to focus in on what I really want to do with my life. From the readings to the blogs to the tweets to the constant research has opened me up to so many new possibilities.

Questions:

1. How has the program impacted your life and/or way of thinking?

2. How does the knowledge that you will acquire at the end of this program effect your current or future employment endeavors?

3. What do you want for Christmas?

3 comments:

  1. Very inspiring post. I think many companies have to establish an online presence (whether they were well established before the Internet or not) because most people are turned off by companies that have no website or a bare-bones website. I've decided against a few businesses because their website was severely lacking in information and basics.

    I think the program has really changed how I use social media and my opinions on this emerging technology and its uses, which I love because I love learning and changing my opinions and viewpoints based on new knowledge.

    Also... I would like a curling iron for Christmas. :)

    Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mattie!!! :-p

    And I will look into the curling iron...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY reluctant to use a company that does not have an online presence. If the website looks like it is from 1998 than their is very little chance I will give them my business. I find it really annoying that I have to call a company to find out prices. I wish they would just be forthright and put everything out there in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete