Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Steal and You Can Too

Hello, my name is Danelle and I illegally download and watch movies and music online. It’s really not a hard task. Come on in and let me tell you about it.


When it comes to technical, coding and hacking I guarantee you that I’m very basic at it. I was first introduced to this thing called downloading music off the internet for free a long time ago. This had to be one of the greatest inventions. No longer did I have to obtain my music legally, I could download a little program and let the sharing begin. Now don’t look at me like that, I know what you’re thinking but its okay as long as you don’t get caught right. Right?


With the way the internet is developing why not get everything for free offline? I do see the issues of downloading music offline and how it can effect that persons records sales but if we figured out a way for it to work for us, why can’t they.


Now not all of my music downloading is illegal, lately I have been using a lot of torrents. As I was reading through some of the blogs and Twitter comments I found it hilarious that some people were worried, dare I even say scared, to even use torrents. Torrents are not bad for you; they make finding and sharing music and everything else quite easier.


Okay, I have to confess I’m not really illegally downloading all this music. It’s more like file sharing and that’s better right? Right?
I don’t have an issue with the way I acquire my music. I can’t tell you the last time I bought a CD. If music artist are not doing as well in this ever growing and changing digital age then they should find a way to make it work for them.



Discussion Question:
What was your recent illegal or legal download?





And just in case…

5 comments:

  1. this is an interesting topic hackery is is something that i do participate in from time to time but sometimes it presents too many risks to my computer rather than the supposed repercussions from the government is what i worry about

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I guess you'd consider yourself a pirate? To play devil's advocate, do you really think it is fair to suggest that artists just "make it work"? (Why do I feel like I'm channeling Tim Gunn?)

    What are some of the strategies they might employ that might "make it work for them"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan brings up a great point. What happens when you open yourself up to other "pirates," but not that kind that want music, but want credit information. File sharing poses a lot of threats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danelle....you are a naughty girl! I'm not sure I agree with your comment, "If music artist are not doing as well in this ever growing and changing digital age then they should find a way to make it work for them". That's like stealing a CD from a record store and telling the record store..."it's not our problem, you need to change your business model". Granted industry does have to find ways to reinvent themselves as markets change but it shouldn't be in response to an over abundance of theft. Compare it to you putting in an honest days work and on pay day your boss says, "oh, we're not paying you, we want to use your skills and expertise for free, and we don't care what you think about it". How would you make a living? Just something to think about the next time you think it's OK to download a song illegally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely pirate stuff: I have a try-before -you-buy type of mindset towards it. I definitely rarely buy a CD though.. so thats bad. I loved Napster back in the day because it was brilliant way to find new music.

    If someone had a song by a band that you liked, you could poke around their music collection and listen to other bands you haven't heard. The other persons music taste was usually similar. I found out about a lot of bands I wouldn't have heard of.

    The pay-per-month sites are bad because you can't really use them on whatever devices you carry around, but I think thats probably the future of that industry. There are a lot of sites that are like Netflix but for music, but they are all a little too complicated. It isn't super easy to put it on devices etc.

    ReplyDelete