Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Time Not Spent Online...

How often should you tweet? Every few minutes? Every few days? Or maybe you tweet so infrequent that you forget that you have a Twitter account.

Being an EMAC major I feel that I should spend 22 ½ hours of the day online. Sadly, my number is far from that and this week I had a startling realization. I don’t spend enough time online or even tweeting. When I realized this I wasn’t sure if this was a good thing or not. I don’t even like saying it out loud. It’s a bad thing because I should be staying right on top of what is going on in the social media world. But it can be good because I’m not always in front of my screen or on my phone (even if it looks like it). And when I do get online, I check the usual email, message board, social/news websites just so I can try and keep up.

But as far as Twitter goes when I first signed up I kept forgetting that I had a Twitter account. And when I did remember I would check in and at least try to tweet some random fact. Now I actually check Twitter daily; be it from my phone or computer. I’m mainly looking to see what do certain news organizations or social sites have to say about different topics.

My main questions are: Is there a certain amount of time one should spend on the internet? I’m not looking for a specific number but more in the ballpark of (you fill in the blank). And how frequent should one tweet?

Maybe I should be the guy in this video....


4 comments:

  1. Danelle - A few things about this JaMazing Blog:
    #1 - If this video were an option at a Karokee bar, yes I would sing along...
    #2 - Brava for asking all the right questions, tweeting frequency is a rather difficult thing to gauge isn't it?

    How much is too much on Twitter, How do you deal with tweeting personal vs. professional content, When does over ReTweeting become a disabler instead of a enabler...

    I too once asked these questions so I wanted to share my philosophy is as follows and I hope it provides some guidance: Tweet with good intention and give above all else. When you adhere to these principles you're acting as a good social media citizen and the return to your participation is rich.

    #s wise - if Twitter is an app on your phone, 6-15 times depending on your content frequency

    Happy Tweeting, see you in class tomorrow-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my take although I am no expert: There isn't a certain amount of time one should spend on the Internet per say, it really depends how much online interaction you are looking for. If you are a talk show host and are trying to connect with fans you may tweet more than say a college professor who teaches classes all day. Mainly, in my opinion, it is much more of a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the last couple of weeks in this program, I have realized that I am actually much more interested in the discourse of new media and communication than I actually am in using it myself. Of course, I think a part of understanding all the implications of new media is knowing how to use it, but for the most part I actually feel light years behind some of my classmates. I don't keep up with the latest and the greatest. And I actually don't like total transparency and bridging my personal with my professional world.

    So, "if anybody feels you, I feel you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sit in front of a computer all day long and frankly, I would go nuts if it weren't for social media.

    It's hard for me to count how many hours I spend online because I use it as an escape from my work. I'll do some paid work for, say, a half hour and then check Facebook or tweet a friend.If I were to really think about it,

    I come close to your 22 1/2 hours, but I often wonder if my time is spent efficiently. That's the trouble with being part of the social network communities is that there is so much information out there. I can't keep up with the article tweets, the youtube videos, the conversations and connections that are happening in real time. I think it's not so much about quantity of time, it's about quality of time, which is what I'm striving to work on.

    ReplyDelete