Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My________


Guess who is back and better than ever? One of the original social networking sites Myspace. According to Mashable.com they rolled out at a whole new look that started today and will continue until November.

I find this to be interesting because in the back of my mind I’m constantly questioning what the heck happened to Myspace. It use to be on then Facebook blew up and it fell off. When they came out with “Social Network” about Facebook I also wondered if they were going to make a movie about Myspace. It could be titled “The Life and Death and Rebirth of a Social Network.”

Myspace will no longer contain the million templates that one could choose from. The user now has a choice of just seven templates. Do you remember when you put so many graphics on your page that it would cause it to load slowly? It was like there was some kind of race to see who could have the most random graphics, songs, displays and everything else on their one page. Their format is more of a block style so that its easier to follow what is going on in certain topics and trends.

One thing that I really like about the revamping is now they are exclusively focused on a certain group. If you’re between the ages of 13-35 then you can be on there. I say that is a good age group especially since Myspace will be much more focused on entertainment and artist rather than just being all the way random.

See, Myspace saw that they had a problem and was being out done by other social networks. They didn’t completely die off but they fixed it or accommodated to the new social media atmosphere. Most of these changes are just the tip of the iceberg and they will be continuing their changes.

Does this mean that I will go join Myspace again? Most likely not I feel over connected now and wish not to create any other accounts. I’m glad that they could accommodate and stay in the game with todays ever changing media.





6 comments:

  1. Haha, I think they are really reaching. I think it's an honest effort, but it won't take down Facebook or come close by any means. Poor Myspace. I remember being 15 and using it. I think they should tailor it more toward teens. Teenagers enjoy designing their pages and being cutesy like that. Did they take that away from it? That was the only good and cool thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but at least they're trying. I don't even expect them to touch Facebooks numbers but its cool that they have a new look. I'm sure users can still design and style their pages as they see fit. I didn't look that far into it because I don't want to create an account. lol

    Even if it were just for teens I think that would invite more pedophiles to the internet world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah you're probably right, they are lurking everywhere. I went to the site, but I couldn't see any changes yet. I guess you have to log in and be a member. I give them props for trying though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud the effort. I am curious to know who their true demographic is. It seems like the most productive thing would be to target tweens, that 11-14 group who don't have any connections to the "old myspace." My perception of myspace is far too jaded to ever return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The early success of MySpace is often attributed to their embracing the indie music scene and letting bands communicate with fans. So a more narrow focus on entertainment may be wise. Of course, I may never know since I'm aged out of their range...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Myspace really didn't die, but thrived in the music/entertainment world. Most small, local, indie bands had myspace pages that allowed you to download or listen to several of their songs to try them out. I actually think that this change is a really smart move by Myspace since it is focusing more on entertainment. I wonder if you sign up now, does Tom still automatically become your first friend?

    ReplyDelete